[vlc] Re: Directshow Input - Blue Screen of Death

Brian Wang brian.wang.0721 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 17:52:24 CEST 2005

Hello BigBen,

Thanks for the reply. :-)

I have found this thread on the forum:
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=5833&highlight=directshow
The instruction on putting spaces for the video size works for me!
For instance:
  640x480 -> BSOD
  640 x 480 -> works!

Is this a driver problem?  I guess so, since user apps should not crash
M$ Windows, neither should device drivers though.
But the interesting thing is that the old VLC 0.7.2 works fine.
Does it mean that VLC 0.8.0+ uses additional API calls that are
causing the problem?

I am a happy camper right now.  Thanks. :-)

brian

On 6/17/05, Benjamin Pracht <bigben+spam at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005, Brian Wang wrote :
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am trying to get my webcam working in VLC through the DirectShow
> > input and keep getting the blue screen hard crash.
> >
> > Here is my findings, when doing [File] -> [Open Capture Device] ->
> > [DirectShow]:
> > 1. It works for the VLC 0.7.2 release version.
> > 2. It works for VLC 0.8.0-test2.
> > 3. It crashes for the VLC 0.8.0 release version and onwards, including the
> > new vlc-trunk.
> >
> > Is it a known problem? What should I do to debug the problem? What is the
> > "professional"
> > way of debugging VLC under M$ Windows?
> > I tried adding msg_Dbg() calls across dshow.c, putting delays after each
> > call and cross
> > compiled it under my Linux box. How can I find out where it crashed?
> > However, it does not help much as I think the messages are queued up
> > before BSOD. The log file shows VLC has gone through the DirectShow device
> > enumeration though.
> >
> > Here is some platform info:
> > 1. Windows XP SP2 (Traditional Chinese version, if relevant)
> > 2. Pentium III Mobile 1GHz with ATI Mobility Radeon AGP (Compaq Evo N410c).
> > The device tested is a USB webcam (UMAX AstraPix PC200).
> > 3. VLC 0.8.0 and plus (VLC 0.7.2 works fine though)
> > 4. Scenario: I presssed [Ctrl + C] to bring up the DirectShow dialog and
> > pressed OK.
> > Then, the infamous blue screen appeared and a hard reset was required.
> > 5. I can reproduce the problem every time. No exceptions.
> >

> Well, the only explanation I see is that a call to a certain function of the
> directshow API has been added between 0.8.0test2 and 0.8.0, that makes
> your drivers crash...
>
> Try updating your webcam drivers first. If thta doesn't help, having a
> look at the commit messages archive could help find out the guilty call.
>
> You can also use the logger interface, to see what debug message is
> printed right before the crash. That could help to find the guilty piece
> of code (but again, this is likely a driver issue)
>
> --
> BigBen

brian
iMaGiNaTiOn iS mOrE iMpOrTaNt tHaN kNoWlEdGe