[vlc] http streaming

Rett D. Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Wed Jun 22 16:56:45 CEST 2005

Hello:

I am playing with http streaming mp3 files.  I am using
the commands in the videolan users guide to sucessfully
stream via http an mp3 file and and m3u playlist.

My problem is that when doing a play list, vlc and other
clients (such as xine) close the stream after each song,
making the user have to reconnect to hear the next song.
Is there a directive that can be placed in the vlc
streaming command line to keep the stream open (It appears
to close the session at the end of each track)

Here is the command I am using to test with on a single pc:

vlc -vvv
/usr/share/mp3/pink_floyd-the_final_cut.old/playlist.m3u
--sout '#standard{access=http,mux=ogg,url=localhost:8080}'

and to receive it:

vlc http://localhost:8080

I am using VLC 0.8.1 on a gentoo box.

Thanks,