[vlc] Problems with YUV images and mosaic mode

Iván Sánchez Ortega i.sanchez at mirame.net
Mon Jun 27 11:10:36 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a mosaic video, as in the "Mosaic" page of the VideoLan
wiki (http://wiki.videolan.org/index.php/Mosaic).

However, I get stuck on step 2, when preparing a YUV image as the background
for the mosaic composing.

As per the wiki page, I had to make a .uyvy image. Not hard at all: get the
gimp ready, draw a test image of the required size (in my case, 800x600),
save it, use ImageMagick's "convert" to get the .uyvy file.

Now, that .uyvy file will be displayed using ImageMagick's "display", but if I
try to view it using VLC 0.8.2-test3 (Yes, I know, I'll compile 0.8.2 final
through the day), mimicking the example of the wiki:

[mpeg2video @ 0xb7f20008]only YUV420 is supported
[00000219] stream_out_switcher private error: cannot open encoder

Hhhhmmm, that's not good. Let's try convering the image to .yuv and playing
it:

[00000219] stream_out_switcher private error: premature end of file foobar.yuv
[00000218] main stream output error: stream chained failed for
`switcher:display'

At this point, I'm really lost. Any ideas? Any help will be greatly
appreciated.
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <i.sanchez at mirame.net> <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org>

http://acm.asoc.fi.upm.es/~mr/