[vlc] different H.264 codecs support

Philippe De Neve Philippe.deneve at intec.ugent.be
Wed Mar 2 10:07:38 CET 2005

Hi guys,

Correct me if I am wrong.
I've read that VideoLan  supports the H.264 codec thru the use of the x264
codec (which is still in beta version) as used in the ffmpeg and mpeg4ip
project.
Different H.264 commercial codecs have been developped recently:
* Ateme (which is reported by doom9 to be very good)
* mpegable
* Sorenson
* VideoSoft
* Fraunhofer
* Moonlight (=cyberlink)
* Mainconcept
* Envivio 4coder

My question is if anybody has had any experience with the interoperability
between these codecs and the x264 codec used by videolan? Otherwise stated:
which codec can be decoded (and displayed) by videolan?