[vlc] Re: different H.264 codecs support

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Wed Mar 2 13:10:28 CET 2005

"Philippe De Neve" <Philippe.deneve at intec.ugent.be> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> Correct me if I am wrong.
> I've read that VideoLan  supports the H.264 codec thru the use of the x264
> codec (which is still in beta version) as used in the ffmpeg and mpeg4ip
> project.

To clarify, VLC uses x264 for H.264 encoding and ffmpeg for decoding.

> Different H.264 commercial codecs have been developped recently:
> * Ateme (which is reported by doom9 to be very good)
> * mpegable
> * Sorenson
> * VideoSoft
> * Fraunhofer
> * Moonlight (=cyberlink)

The Moonlight decoder is quite fast.  I haven't tried the encoder.

> * Mainconcept

I tried a demo from Mainconcept about half a year ago, and it was
incredibly slow.  This might of course have improved by now.

> * Envivio 4coder
>
> My question is if anybody has had any experience with the
> interoperability between these codecs and the x264 codec used by
> videolan? Otherwise stated: which codec can be decoded (and
> displayed) by videolan?

I know H.264 encoded by x264 can be decoded by the Moonlight decoder.
I haven't tried the other decoders.  There are still some advanced
features that the ffmpeg decoder doesn't support, but the basic stuff
should all be there and compatible with any encoder.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com