[vlc] Re: VideoLan

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Wed Mar 2 17:52:54 CET 2005

Le Mercredi 2 Mars 2005 17:04, vous avez écrit :
> I meant towards the end user and access control.

VLC does not really implement access control. For multicast streaming,
access control should be handled at a lower-layer, by the networking
infrastructure.

For unicast, we are currently implementing SSL-based encryption and
authentification, but performance will probably not be as good as with
unencrypted streaming. Besides, it is not possible to use SSL
encryption on Windows at the moment.

Some people are pushing a project based on VLC to implement more
standard and secure video encryption, but it definitely won't be
available before 2006/2007.

That said, depending on what you need, access control might not be so
complicated to implement, so you should either do it yourself and have
someone implement it for you.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/