[vlc] VLC usage doubts relating to RTP, RTCP, RTSP

Nirnimesh nirnimesh at students.iiit.net
Wed Mar 2 17:53:55 CET 2005

I have doubts regarding RTP, RTCP, RTSP usage in VLC. Actually, I'm hazy
about  what exactly is getting used in the following:

I start my streaming server as:
./vlc -vvv -I telnet

Then, telnet 127.0.0.1 4212
telnet> new s vod enabled
telnet> setup s input tumbin.avi
telnet> setup s output
#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,venc=ffmpeg,vb=400}:std{access=rtp,mux=ts,url=127.0.0.1}
telnet> control s play

Then, the client (same system):

vlc -vvv -I dummy rtp://

I'm able to get the stream all fine. Now my doubt is:

o Am I using RTCP (i.e., does VLC use RTCP for the sync control of the
RTP stream)? ffmpeg has this libavformat/rtp.c which appears to be
performing these RTCP things.

o In the case where I want to use the VLM (telnet mode), how do I use
rtsp:// from the client? I already have --enable-livedotcom &
--enable-dvbpsi. What exactly does livedotcom provide? Can I start
request a new stream using vlc rtsp:// ?

If the above seem illogical, please point me in the right direction.

Thank You

Nirnimesh

[ http://students.iiit.ac.in/~nirnimesh ]