[vlc] Re: Production level

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Sat Mar 12 23:32:56 CET 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005, James Rourke wrote :

> 1.	Is there any concern for a production-level multi-video display
> using VLC when compared to mplayer?  Will videos reliably play just as
> well on Linux?

Well, VLC is used by several companies in production environment.
However, the answer will mostly depend on the feature you need. Not all
the parts of VLC hve reached the same level of maturity. The best way to
know will certainly be to test (and of course, any bug report is always
welcome).

> 2.	We have a system whereby users can upload and schedule videos
> for later playback.  Because of scheduling considerations, we need to
> have the duration of the video automatically calculated.  Is there any
> way we could retrieve the duration of the video using the vlc library
> without using the GUI?  If yes, then how?

This is possible on the development version of VLC (perhaps already in
0.8.1, not sure), through a mecanism called "preparse". This feature is
currently available through the VOD server of VLM, and using the
wxWidget gui. Using this function in another interface is probably only
a matter of a few lines of codes.

--
BigBen