[vlc] Production level

James Rourke jrourke at viosport.com
Sat Mar 12 00:07:35 CET 2005

Hello,

My name is James Rourke.  I work for a company called Kuvata, which has
2 primary businesses, both of them video related.  I started using your
VLC today and liked what I saw.  We were originally going to use
mplayer, but I see some benefits with VLC.  I do have 2 questions since
my searches on the internet have not yielded many results.

1.	Is there any concern for a production-level multi-video display
using VLC when compared to mplayer?  Will videos reliably play just as
well on Linux?

2.	We have a system whereby users can upload and schedule videos
for later playback.  Because of scheduling considerations, we need to
have the duration of the video automatically calculated.  Is there any
way we could retrieve the duration of the video using the vlc library
without using the GUI?  If yes, then how?

Thanks,

James Rourke