[vlc] Re: obtaining time from a ts file

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Wed Mar 23 04:46:48 CET 2005

"Mark Moriarty" <mfmbusiness at earthlink.net> writes:

> Thanks -- it was the other file-oriented encapsulations that have
> the header info which leads to a file duration (ASF, AVI, MOV,...).
>
> I have to admit, WMP does a pretty quick start up, so the read-EOF
> mechanism doesn't seem half bad for MPEG PS, differencing between
> the last PTS and the first.  What's the downside?  Do some files
> have PTS that gets weird, discontinuities?

Discontinuities are allowed, and are not uncommon.  DVDs frequently
restart from zero at (some) chapter boundaries, and the PTS values can
loop.

To be totally honest, the standard specifies an optional index packet
for MPEG-PS.  However, I have never seen a file containing one, or
heard of a player supporting it.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com