[vlc] Mac OS X, VLC and surround sound

Carsten Whimster cwhimster at mac.com
Wed Mar 23 12:20:21 CET 2005

Hello, and my apologies in advance for the limited-interest question,

I am running the latest version of Mac OS X, 10.3.8, on a brand-new
dual cpu PowerMac, the latest VLC, 0.8.1, and have just bought a nice
soundcard (M-Audio Revolution 7.1 with 1.2.9 drivers), hoping to get
surround sound for DVD playback as well as games.

However, I have noticed some odd behaviour with VLC, perhaps a buglet
or two as well, although it is also possible that one or more of the
problems is with my soundcard drivers.

I have opened the preference app for my soundcard (with Creative FPS
1500 speakers for now, which have a 4.0 setup, although there is also a
subwoofer without a separate plug), and in this preference app, I can
see in realtime what the sound levels being sent to the card are. Then
I start VLC and put in some recent DVD with 5.1 sound (such as Harry
Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), and often, it initially works
well. However, the rear right channel often drops out if i fiddle with
any of the settings. Additionally, I have had the sound drop out
completely. Even when the sound comes through all four channels, I
often get very weird assignments, speaker-wise, such as the voices
coming out of only the rear left speaker. The general feel of the sound
is rarely the same between the DVD menu and the movie itself, and I
don't mean only volume levels.

So far, the only way I can get a reasonable, repeatable DVD viewing
experience is to revert to Mac OS X's DVD Player, which is obviously
not great, given the lack of support for 5.1 decoding.

I have tried searching in the FAQ and in the history of this list, but
have not found anything directly related. There were some issues with
older versions of VLC which sounded possibly tangentially related, but
nothing has solved my problem so far. If I missed anything, I would be
grateful for any pointers to related material.

Does anyone here have any experience setting up VLC with surround sound
on Mac OS X? I am quite willing to help someone with an extensive
debugging session, running custom versions of VLC or whatever it takes
to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Carsten Whimster