[vlc] choosing play time from rtp/rtcp timestamp

Beni Mahler benibunny at gmx.net
Thu May 12 11:50:11 CEST 2005

hello all

i am engineering student working with audio synchronisation of multiple
pc's within a LAN. I would like to play back one multicast stream on
different machines who are within audible distance. they all need to
play back the stream in +/- 0.05 seconds from each other. Therefore I
thought of sending an RTP/RTCP Stream from a server, and then connect to
the stream using vlc, mplayer... interpreting the RTCP Timestamps to
determine the wallclock time, when the data was generated. To be sure
all stations play the sound synchronously, I wanted to add a 'fix'
delay, e.g. 3sec to the time, when the packet was generated and to play
it at this time. I have read in the vlc mailing list that the LIVE.COM
code automatically uses the information in RTCP reports to convert these
to accurate presentation times, BUT does vlc permit me, to set a fix
delay between the ntp time when the packet was generated and the moment
when it is played? i think vlc normally determines this delay depending
on the network. i know that mplayer usually caches a number of bytes
before playing.

cheers