[vlc] Re: Startup sync anomalies for RTSP MPEG-4

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Thu May 12 21:36:35 CEST 2005

Hi Ross

Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> For both I use RTP over RTSP
> There is a known (but still undebugged) problem with RTCP timestamp
> handling when receiving RTP streams over the RTSP TCP connection.
> (You're the second person to report this.)  I need to investigate this,
> to figure out if the bug is in the LIVE.COM libraries (most likely), or
> in the VLC proper.  Stay tuned...

Ok. Let me know if you want access to 13 TV channels with various
timings characteristics. That might help you find the bug.

> In the meantime, I suggest fixing your firewall to pass UDP packets, so
> that you can receive the stream over UDP, as God intended :-)

Agreed, but I also stream to people with ADSL and with NAT.

The issue with ADSL is that some Telco has close-to-zero sized
buffer on the egress towards the customer and near stupid rigid
bandwidth control. That poses a problem when you do

     server---normal-speed-net---high-speed-net---slow-last-mile

Data might arrive at the 'slow-last-mile' in small mini bursts
which by the egress router with the stupid rigid bandwidth control might
get translated into smaller 'over the limit' streams. Just stupid
design, but hey, a lot of it was designed by bellheads longing for the
days of TDM networks still hoping this fling for packets switched
networks will go over.

The issue with NAT you know.

--PMM