[vlc] Re: [help] vlc on ad hoc network

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Mon May 16 16:59:00 CEST 2005

[I am keeping this discussion on the list so that others
can chime in with additional information. Please send the
reply to the list. Thanks.]

Hi Yessi,

> in my network, on the receiving PC, the play back does never start...
> I already have tested end to end connectivity in my network using
ping,
> and the connectivity is success..maybe, for more clearly i'll explain
> that i have done..

> for the first time, i tested ad hoc network just for 2 node
> (end-to-end connectivity)..
> in end-to-end connectivity, my network has success..i tested it
> using ping and i run VLC the network..and the VLC has run
> successfully..

So your 2-node network works fine. Good.

> then, next i tested in 3 node (multi hop connectivity)..in the same,
> each node i given ip address in different subnetwork...but, when i
> tested it using ping and run vlc, it is not success..

Does this mean that you can't run 'ping' on the 3-node network?
If this is the case, the problem is not with vlc but with the
network setup.

You need to first get the routing working correctly so that all the
nodes can directly communicate with each other. 'ping' is a great
simple test. Once that works fine, only then can you start to
test video streaming. If your nodes cannot communicate with each
other, the problem is with the configuration and not with vlc
or any other application.

Can you post the network config (their IP addresses, subnet
masks and gateway addresses) of the three nodes?

> i'm implementing the multi hop routing using AODV protocol handler.
> the name of that AODV protocol handler is UobJAdhoc..i have it
> in www.aodv.org... as i know, it is all at layer-3 cause i
> didn't use MAC address but ip address as identity of each node...

Have you asked about your problem on the forums on that website?
The people there may know more about configuring a multi-node
network with AODV.

> "However, you can *emulate* a multi-hop network by using VLC on
> an intermedia node to receive the stream from the source node and
> then  re-send to the destination node. This can be done over
> point-to-point links and does not really demonstrate an ad-hoc
network."
> can u tell me how to "emulate" it? i've tried to set on intermediate
> node as you've told..i set it to receive the stream from the source
node
> and then re-send to the destination node..but the VLC cant't run
> sucessfully...
> maybe my setting is not true yet..cant u tell me how to set it?
> maybe it does not really demonstrate an ad hoc network but i want
> to try it...

The set-up I was describing does not use AODV or any other routing
protocol. It merely allows you to send a video from node1 to node3
through node2. vlc on node1 sends stream to node2. node2 re-sends
the stream to node3 and node3 displays it.

On node2, choose 'Open Network Stream' and confirm the port number.
Then choose 'Stream Output' and send it to node3.

This is definitely not an example of a true multi-hop network
with routing.

> Harshal, are you know about other media player for video streaming
> that can run in multihop ad hoc network?actually, i really want
> to using VLC media player...cause it's open souce..

Yessi, if your network configuration is not correct, no other
media player will help. And if your configuration correctly
routes the packets around your network, it will not matter
what application you use. The application does not care how
your packets get to the other end. You can use any other
video player but I would stick with vlc because there is really
nothing to gain by switching.

Regards,
- Harshal