[vlc] VLC compatability concern . . .

Joshua Danneman racerj at hotmail.com
Sat May 21 18:49:56 CEST 2005

To whom it may concern,

Sorry to trouble you as I'm sure you're all very busy but I'm having
problems with my VLC player.  I have checked the knowledgebase and your
message board but no mention of the exact issue I'm having.  When I used the
audio chip that's intergrated on my motherboard that audio worked fine in
VLC and everything else.  The other night though I bought a MP3+ external
sound unit from Creative Labs.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=207&product=154

After installing it and rebooting I now have sound from everything except
VLC and I have no idea why.  All the other players (media Player 9,
quicktime, winamp, etc) play sounds fine as do all my web browsers.  The
problem being all the other video players, to be brutaly honest, suck
compared to your product.  Your video playback is always flawless and that's
why I'm in search of an answer to this issue.  I can not think of anything
else that would aid you in addressing this except my PC specifications.
It's an old PC so please try to refrain from laughter.

Dell V400
Pentium II 400 MHz
256 MB RAM
Rage Pro II intergrated video
Soundblaster MP3+ USB Audio system
Win98 SE

Everything is fully up-to-date and like I said VLC worked just fine before
the new audio device was installed.  I even went so far as to disable the
intergrated audio in BIOS, uninstall the MP3+, uninstalled VLC, then
reinstalled MP3+, and then reinstalled VLC but to no avail.  I was going to
contact Creative Labs but considering it works fine with everything else I
figured it was a compatability issue with VLC and that they would have said
the same thing.  I know that VLC has issues with Audigy 2 but my MP3+ isn't
listed under that category.  It's listed under "others".  Any help you have
to offer would be greatly appreciated though.  I would be willing to test
any sort of patch you could offer up to help correct this issue.  I mean the
whole reason I bought the MP3+ was to hook up my pc to my stereo to have
great sound to go with such great video.

Thank you for your time,

- Josuah Danneman