[vlc] "X Window Error" and --vout=x11 option

Steve MOREAU moreau at essi.fr
Wed May 25 15:46:52 CEST 2005

Hello :-)

I've met an error while playing all media in vlc. I solved it by calling
vlc with --vout=x11 option, but it caused cpu use dramatically to
increase. To give you an idea, with a 800Mhz processor, vlc takes 25 % in
mean, and X server more than 50%... On a 2GHz, with --vout=x11, I have 7%
for vlc, and 20% for X, versus 0.7% and 0.3% without the option (vlc works
fine on this last computer). Both of them have Fedora Core 3, and the same
installation apparently...

I wonder if the problem isn't due to my hardware because my video card was
not well know by Fedora. To tell you everything, I've installed the
binaries from the Unichrome project
(http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/fc3/) because my video card is
integrated into a cle266 chipset (not well supported by Linux yet, as I
understood). Maybe, the X server can't use the card optimization for
rendering by example... In fact, I'm not sure at all :-)

Here is the error I got (not due to vlc apparently but maybe you've
already seen it before...) :

VLC media player 0.8.1 Janus
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 1, expected 0)
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 1, expected 0)

************ IOD ************
* iod_label:1
* ===========
* tag:0x2
* length:102
* od_id:1
* url flag:0
* includeInlineProfileLevel flag:0
* ODProfileLevelIndication:255
* sceneProfileLevelIndication:255
* audioProfileLevelIndication:254
* visualProfileLevelIndication:254
* graphicsProfileLevelIndication:255
* - ES_Descriptor length:91
*   * streamDependenceFlag:0
*   * OCRStreamFlag:0
*   * streamPriority:31
*   - DecoderConfigDesc length:72
*     * objectTypeIndication:0x20
*     * streamType:0x4
*     * upStream:0
*     * bufferSizeDB:1048576
*     * maxBitrate:2147483647
*     * avgBitrate:0
*   - SLConfigDescr length:8
*     * i_predefined:0x1
The program '' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
  (Details: serial 55 error_code 8 request_code 140 minor_code 17)
Trace ControlWindow

What do you think of that ? Have you got a clue where it could crash ?

Thanks in advance

Steve