[vlc] Re: "X Window Error" and --vout=x11 option

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed May 25 16:13:51 CEST 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:46:52 +0100, Steve MOREAU <moreau at essi.fr> wrote:

> increase. To give you an idea, with a 800Mhz processor, vlc takes 25 % in
> mean, and X server more than 50%... On a 2GHz, with --vout=x11, I have 7%
> for vlc, and 20% for X, versus 0.7% and 0.3% without the option (vlc

That is normal. You are using X for software rendering when x11 is
specified,
reflected in the higher CPU usage by X.

VLC defaults to xvideo output and it is there that you have a problem.

> I wonder if the problem isn't due to my hardware because my video card
> was not well know by Fedora. To tell you everything, I've installed the
> binaries from the Unichrome project
> (http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/fc3/) because my video card
> is integrated into a cle266 chipset (not well supported by Linux yet, as
> understood). Maybe, the X server can't use the card optimization for
> rendering by example... In fact, I'm not sure at all :-)

I am using CLE266 with an older Unichrome driver and xvideo works fine.

> What do you think of that ? Have you got a clue where it could crash ?

It's more than likely a problem with the unichrome driver. Standard FC3
with Xorg 6.8.1 has a via driver that supports 2D and xvideo. It's at
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/via_drv.o, just update the Device section
in your xorg.conf to reference it.

What you won't get with the xorg driver is h/w mpeg2 decoding with vlc.

Depending on your content, you may get away with an 800Mhz processor for
MPEG2 PAL-D1. If not, it will be possible to use either xine or mplayer
which have support for the mpeg decoder. For that, you will either need
the RPMs you have been using or compile the unichrome driver, drm and
libxvmc.

If you want to try and make what you have work, play around with xvinfo
and the --xvideo-chroma <string>   (XVimage chroma format) vlc option.

Dermot.