[vlc] VLC Input from Pipe

Angus Davis angus at tellme.com
Sat Nov 5 03:04:19 CET 2005

Hello,
Thanks for answering my earlier question concerning VLC interfaces.
Sorry I was not able to find that answer on my own despite 30 minutes of
searching.  As it turns out, the -rc-fake-tty is an important advanced
feature to making that work.

My next question is unrelated, but I have spent 45 minutes looking for
an answer with no luck.

I have a program that captures an MPEG2 Transport Stream from my
firewire card and outputs the content to stdout.  I would like to "pipe
this" into VLC for streaming out.

I am doing it like this:

./test-mpeg2 -r 0 | vlc -I rc -vvv /dev/stdin --sout
'#standard{access=http,mux=ts,url=10.0.1.197:8080}' --rc-fake-tty

It does not work.  It reacts to the MPEG2 TS data as though they are
commands, generating errors such as: "unknown command `?+'_U`.?f', type
`help' for help"  Instead of "-vvv /dev/stdin" I have also tried "-vvv - "

I have tried but failed to find any clear explanation of how to "pipe"
an input into vlc.  Is there a special URI syntax to specify that VLC
will be called in a piped fashion?
-angus