[vlc] Re: How to run without GUI?

Daniel Stränger vlc at schmaller.de
Sat Nov 5 02:00:41 CET 2005

hi angus,

> What option do I need to pass to VLC to prevent it from attempting to
> open an xwindows interface?

first of all, your question is answered @ the vlc webpage:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/play-howto/en/ch04.html#id295738 !!

but i'll summarize the most important for you:
wx is the default interface when available.
to change the default by command line parameters, you can give the -I option:
"vlc -I rc" for example starts the remote control interface.
other common non-gui interfaces are: telnet, http, ncurses.
"vlc -l|grep interface" should give you a list of all available interfaces.

if you want to change the default interface permanently, you can edit
the file ~/.vlc/vlcrc and uncomment/change the line "#intf=" that it reflects your preferred interface:
"intf=rc".

> Thanks,
> -angus

have a lot of fun!