[vlc] Re: Cannot stream via RTSP from Bitband VOD server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Nov 8 22:20:17 CET 2005

>I am trying to stream an MPEG2 Transport Stream file from a Bitband
>Vision 280 VOD server.  For some reason this isn't working for me.

The problem is that the "Bitband Vision 280 VOD server" does not
conform to the RTSP standard.  Note, in particular, the following:

>Sending request: PLAY
>rtsp://192.168.183.20:554/Video/default/0019710.mpg RTSP/1
>.0
>CSeq: 4
>Session: 63648566
>Range: npt=0.000-
>

>Received PLAY response: v=0
>o=- 3340471937 0 IN IP4 0.0.0.0
>s=BitBand RTSP Server

<etc>
This is completely bogus.  The response to a RTSP "PLAY" command
should not be a SDP description (that is a valid response only to the
earlier "DESCRIBE" command).

You need to contact 'Bitband' and ask them to fix their server.

(BTW, another problem with the server is that the SDP description
returned - in response to the "DESCRIBE" command - does not contain a
"c=" line.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>