[vlc] Re: Cannot stream via RTSP from Bitband VOD server

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Wed Nov 9 12:12:08 CET 2005

On 8-nov-2005, at 22:20, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> I am trying to stream an MPEG2 Transport Stream file from a
>> Bitband Vision 280 VOD server.  For some reason this isn't working
>> for me.
>
> The problem is that the "Bitband Vision 280 VOD server" does not
> conform to the RTSP standard.  Note, in particular, the following:
>
>> Sending request: PLAY rtsp://192.168.183.20:554/Video/default/
>> 0019710.mpg RTSP/1
>> .0
>> CSeq: 4
>> Session: 63648566
>> Range: npt=0.000-
>>

>> Received PLAY response: v=0
>> o=- 3340471937 0 IN IP4 0.0.0.0
>> s=BitBand RTSP Server
>
> <etc>
> This is completely bogus.  The response to a RTSP "PLAY" command
> should not be a SDP description (that is a valid response only to
> the earlier "DESCRIBE" command).
>
> You need to contact 'Bitband' and ask them to fix their server.

Actually Ross,

This is not the PLAY response, It's the SETUP response. The SETUP
Response has extra data which is not read by liveMedia (Even though a
liveMedia reads, this data is then presented to RTSPClient in the
next read call, because it was not skipped in SETUP. I guess you
could easily add support to skip the "Content-length" data in a SETUP
response.

I agree though that providing support for all these servers is
redicilious. Kasenna is one of the most used VoD servers (other then
DSS) so it made a bit of sense for that server, but there are just
too many servers around. Especially to SUPPORT. i mean if you can do
an easy fix to get something supported, then that's nice, But you
cannot take all of them into account every single time.

DJ