[vlc] xvideo scaled incorrectly on 16:9 monitor

Don Mahurin dmahurin at dma.org
Thu Nov 10 06:34:08 CET 2005

I have a 16:9 monitor, using a 16:9 resolution (1280x720) , and for some
reason vlc+xvideo is scaling the image such that it occupies the top
2/3(?) of the window, with the bottom 1/3 black.
I am guessing that something is wrongly assuming a monitor aspect ratio
of 4:3, so it scales the video vertically.

It works with X11, just not with Xvideo.

I didn't see any solutions to this online.

I tried --aspect-ration and --monitor-par. Neither helped.