[vlc] Re: Compiling VLC on OS X

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Nov 13 01:51:45 CET 2005

> Could someone kindly post a configure command line with options
> that will
> actually build this beast?
>
> ./configure      (fails with complaint it can't find -lbe)

This was due to an error in ffmpeg. This option has been removed from
the ffmpeg contrib package, so when you recompile your contribs, you
should not longer run into this issue.

> ./configure --disable-x11 --disable-xvideo --disable-glx --disable-gtk
> --enable-sdl --enable-ffmpeg

> --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-zlib

You can remove this three options for more recent compilations (past
two weeks). They are now set automatically.

> --enable-mad --enable-dvbpsi --enable-a52
> --disable-dvdplay --enable-dvdnav --enable-faad --enable-vorbis --
> enable-ogg
> --enable-theora --enable-faac --enable-mkv --enable-freetype --
> disable-cddax
> --disable-vcdx --enable-speex --enable-flac --enable-goom
> --enable-livedotcom --enable-caca --disable-skins2 --disable-wxwidgets
> --enable-modplug --enable-daap --enable-x264 --enable-shout --
> enable-twolame
> --enable-debug
>
> Derk-Jan Hartman's configure off of the website - fails with a linker
> problem on theora.

This is because libshout is broken. You need to specify --disable-
shout atm.
Soon we will switch to 10.3 builds only, that should take some of the
byte out of the continuing issues with our 3rd party libraries we use.
Supporting 10.2 AND 10.3 AND 10.4 is proving to be seriously
challenging and quite time expensive. From 10.3 and on, the
buildsystem is more stable and generally more flexible for Makefile
based compilations.

DJ