[vlc] Re: Problem streaming over wireless link

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Wed Nov 16 14:12:56 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:38:11AM +0100, Petr Hroudny wrote:
> I like to stream over wireless link conecting 2 buildings.  The link is able to give me 1,2 MByte/s downloads over FTP.
> I used UDP stream option, but the result is very bad. The picture is distorted and  VLC prints several discontinuity and other errors.
> Even very low bandwidth videos don't work correctly.
>
> Is there some special setting for wireless links necessary?

Hi Petre,

   I'd suggest to check with ping utility if you're not experiencing
significant packet loss or packet duplication. Wireless links might be
duplicating IP packets - and in this case raw UDP streaming does not work.

   If you see packet duplication, download VLC 0.8.4-test2 and try to use
RTP instead of raw UDP. RTP is able to detect and discard duplicates by
checking RTP sequence numbers - and in case of packet loss, RTP will
issue a debug message from which you can see how often and how many packets
were lost in your link.

   If there's significant packet loss, you might try to use HTTP which runs
on top of reliable transport protocol (TCP) - but this is less preferred
solution for network streaming.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----