[vlc] Re: Problem streaming over wireless link

Brian Raymond braymond at echostorm.net
Wed Nov 16 22:48:53 CET 2005

There are some issues on wireless networks revolving around high
packet rate applications and the type of traffic, be it unicast or
multicast. Depending on the type (b/a/g) an AP can't handle the
packet rate needed to support a large number of unicast clients.
Related to that is the loss rate for wireless frames, this isn't an
exact number but when you start pushing more then ~350 pps on APs you
will see loss. If you are pushing multicast traffic out you need to
look at your AP's multicast rate and how it handles things.

For example I can bury an Apple Airport AP with about 400KBps of
multicast traffic from VLC even with the multticast rate on the AP
pushed up as high as it will go.

- Brian