[vlc] Re: Problem streaming over wireless link

Sigmund Augdal Helberg sigmund at snap.tv
Wed Nov 16 12:12:31 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:38 +0100, Petr Hroudny wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I like to stream over wireless link conecting 2 buildings.  The link is able to give me 1,2 MByte/s downloads over FTP.
> I used UDP stream option, but the result is very bad. The picture is distorted and  VLC prints several discontinuity and other errors.
> Even very low bandwidth videos don't work correctly.
Assuming you have one of those 54mbit systems then the theoretical max
transfer rate is 54mbit/s while you get about 10mbit/s. This means
(oversimplifying dramatically) that 4 out of 5 packets are dropped. With
ftp that runs over tcp these packets are retransmitted, but with udp
they are just sent with the hope that they will arrive properly. If
still 4 out of 5 packets are dropped then you will certainly get
discontinuities.

> Is there some special setting for wireless links necessary?
Try any tcp based streaming protocol, like http.

Sigmund