[vlc] Re: Problem streaming over wireless link

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Nov 17 17:40:38 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Sigmund Augdal Helberg wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:38 +0100, Petr Hroudny wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I like to stream over wireless link conecting 2 buildings.  The link is able to give me 1,2 MByte/s downloads over FTP.
>> I used UDP stream option, but the result is very bad. The picture is distorted and  VLC prints several discontinuity and other errors.
>> Even very low bandwidth videos don't work correctly.

realtime video tends to be fairly intollerant of loss due to queuing and
retransmission on a ap since getting out of order packets a few hundred
ms after you given up and played the frame with the data missing doesn't
do you any good.

knowing how the ap's were configured would go a long way towards
suggesting a fix. assuming they were g, I'd probably turn off b support,
and set the multicast rate rather high, so that beaconing and broadcast
traffic don't happen at some radically slower rate affecting your other
traffic.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu