[vlc] Re: analyzing a video stream

Philippe De Neve Philippe.deneve at intec.ugent.be
Tue Oct 4 12:32:58 CEST 2005

You could also take a look at OpenRTSP : www.live.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bradley, Todd" <todd.bradley at Polycom.com>
To: <vlc at videolan.org>
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 11:39 PM
Subject: [vlc] analyzing a video stream

Hi, I need to build a videoconferencing test tool and I'm trying to
figure out if VLC can help.  I need to be able to send and receive RTP
streams of H.263 video, and then find some basic information about the
received streams in real time.  I will send several video streams into a
videoconferencing system, and then I will get the same number of video
streams back.  So far, it looks like VideoLAN could help with this.

But the tough part is getting this "basic information".  I'd like to be
able to compare the output streams and determine if they represent the
same video image.  I'd also like to be able to tell the dominant color
of the image.  For example, let's say I'm sending 8 input video streams
(and therefore getting 8 output streams back).  And let's say that 7 of
those streams are just a solid blue image and 1 stream is a solid red
image.  I want some software to analyze those 8 output streams and find
out from each one, "Are you red or blue or neither?"

First, does VLC have anything built in that can help with this?  Second,
if VLC can't help, does anyone know of some software (preferably free)
that can do this?  I'm new to the digital video world and so any
pointers are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd.
----
Todd Bradley - Polycom, Inc.
Test Lead, Proximo Projects

Visit me at my WebOffice for IM and app sharing:
http://www.polycomweboffice.com/todd.bradley@polycom.com