[vlc] Strange MPEG2TS file plays file by STB, does not play with VLC - multiple video streams embedded

timecop timecop at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 01:43:13 CEST 2005

So I'm receiving this signal from satellite.
I got a set top box which receives it and displays on TV. That part
works of course.
However if I use a DVB card to try to watch the same signal, it doesn't work.

I have separate samples of each situation:

1) http://pbx.mine.nu/dvb/dongs.ts
    this file is the full dump of the transponder at ~30mbit,
including null PID.
    this shows the PAT/PMT, 1 program with colorbars (not what I want
to play) and
    a ~24mbps PID 0x1ffc which contains a mux of several audio/video
programs (what I do
    want to play).

2) http://pbx.mine.nu/dvb/PID_0x1ffc.ts
    this is only pid 0x1ffc saved from the same broadcast. ts headers
containing pid 1ffc are
    left intact. This doesn't play at all.

3) http://pbx.mine.nu/dvb/PID_0x1ffc_dropheader.ts
    this is PID 1ffc PAYLOAD ONLY, which seems to contain ANOTHER
transport stream
    (though with odd structure, 184 * 8 bytes there's a new TS header,
somethign is really
    strange going on there).  When playing this in VLC, screen
flickers a lot, and eventually
    causes VLC to crash. This is what I would like to play. This
(well, all 3 of these do) sample
    contains about 6 different mixed video/audio programs.  If you
look carefully at this TS, it
    has its own PAT/PMT, which points video at pid 0x1023, and audio
at 0x1022. However
    whatever format the video at 0x1023 is, it seems to be
interleaving? all 6 programs into a
    single video stream.

So... How do I play this stuff? I can provide more samples for testing
if necessary.