[vlc] Problems receiving RTP streams

Luca Abeni lucabe72 at email.it
Mon Oct 17 10:52:40 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am doing some experiments streaming MPEG4 audio and video and
receiving it with vlc.
I need to stream the video at constant (or limited) bitrate, but I did
not find any way to do it with vlc (I can encode CBR MPEG4 video, but it
is not streamed at a constant bitrate).

So, I wrote a simple program to stream MPEG4 video at a constant
bitrate, and I am trying to receive it with vlc...
(I tried to receive the stream with mp4player as a test, and it works
ok).
But I have a problem: since up to rc_buffer_size bits are buffered by
the streamer, vlc must buffer some audio and video before playing it...
But it seems that it always buffer less than 1s.

I tried to use --rtsp-caching 5000 (my command line is
vlc -vvv --rtsp-caching 5000 --rt-priority /tmp/stream1-1.sdp) to buffer
5 seconds of stream in the player, but it does not seem to work (I see
the video appearing with a latency smaller than 1s... I would expect
5s). Am I misunderstanding the meaning of --rtsp-caching?
Since I see that the streamer may buffer up to 80 frames, how can I
force vlc to buffer 4 seconds of stream before playing it?

Another problem: I stream in multicast, and I receive from some
different machines using something like
vlc stream:<sdp_file>
When an instance of vlc is closed on one of the client machines, all the
other instances of vlc seem to receive a stop command: the stream stops
playing and I have to press "Play" again to restarti it.
Is this a known problem?

I am using vlc 0.8.2.

				Thanks,
					Luca

P.S.: is this the correct mailing list for this mail? I was unsure if
posting here, on streaming at videolan.org, or on vlc-devel at videolan.org