[vlc] Re: How is H.264 indicated?

Luis Fernando Heckler lfheckler at ig.com.br
Thu Sep 1 23:27:33 CEST 2005

I have a Power Mac G5 and make a H264 video recording to a file the H264
streaming with Quicktime Broadcaster.

After, I play this .mov file in VLC (0.8.2 binary for windows, without
any specific compilation) and the Stream and Media Info says:

Stream 0
- Codec: avc1
- Resolution: 720x480
- Frame rate: 31.217482

Stream 1
- Codec: mp4a
- Type: Audio
- Channels: 2
- Sample rate: 32000Hz
- Bits per sample: 16
- Bitrate: 1024 kb/s

If I play this file in Quicktime Player 6, the player can't play this file.
If I play this file in Quicktime Player 7 for Mac OS, the movie play ok,
and the player identify the video format as H.264 and audio format as AAC.

But play a H264 file its not the same case that play a H264 streaming in
VLC.
To play a H264 streaming, I needed to compile the VLC source with newest
Live.com source and newest ffmpeg source, and at now its not working so
good. There are some problems yet.

Luis F. Heckler