[vlc] Re: mozilla plugin

Keir Vaughan-Taylor keirvt at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 2 23:11:40 CEST 2005

I recently got this to work but there was some faffing about.
The setup I used may help your situation at least to get your setup
going and then you can try changing things to be what you want. If the
Mozilla/Firfox plugin show the extension is enabled then this is
probably okay. No offence if some of this is obvious to you.

In my case I was "broadcasting" from a Windows machine and used a GUI to
set parameters.  I  used http protocol and set the port to be 1234.

The html script then looks like'
/*****************************
<h1> My Sites Heading</h1>
<h2> VLC Mozilla video streaming </h2>
<embed type="application/x-vlc-plugin"
             name="video1"
             autoplay="no" loop="yes" width="400" height="300"
             target="http://192.168.43.103:1234" />
video1</a>
onclick='document.video1.fullscreen()'>Fullscreen</a>
*******************************/

Where the IP number is the number of my Windows "broadcasting" machine

If you are behind a firewall you will have to make a firewall entry that
forwards port 1234 to your "broadcaster"

Also make sure the transcoding box is checked. If "play locally" is
checked, then you can see that your capture card or whatever is
operation correctly at the broadcast end.

On the Unix machine the command telnet 192.168.1.103 1234 will tell you
if you can connect  or being denied access for some reason. Check your
firewall on your "receiving" machine is turned off. Window machines have
started turning firewall on by default and Linux distributions now can
complicate life with SELinux security. Make sure this is turned off.