[vlc] Re: mistake in doc for command line dvd

Brian Robb vascy at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 4 13:23:30 CEST 2005

>the help should be fixed. (i didn't add the examples ... we should
>basically add an "examples" page like in the streaming howto.
>if you feel like starting one i can help you)

Okay, I feel like starting one...

DVD command-line Examples:
The following examples assume there's a dvd drive at:
D: for windows and /dev/cdrom for linux.

e.g. Play a DVD showing the DVD menu:
(This starts the DVD and shows the DVD menu if there is one...)
  windows: vlc "dvd://D:"
  linux: vlc "dvd:///dev/cdrom"

e.g. Play DVD Movie:
(This starts the DVD and skips the dvd menu...)
(The "movie" on a dvd is usually the first episode on a dvd...)
  windows: vlc "dvdsimple://D:"
  linux: vlc "dvdsimple:///dev/cdrom"

e.g. Play DVD episode 1, chapter 2, angle 1:
  windows: vlc "dvdsimple://D:@1:2:1"
  linux: vlc "dvdsimple:///dev/cdrom@1:2:1"

e.g. Play DVD episode 2, chapter 1, angle 1:
  windows: vlc "dvdsimple://D:@2:1:1"
  linux: vlc "dvdsimple:///dev/cdrom@2:1:1"