[vlc] Re: Problem playing a MPEG-2 Transport Stream file

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Fri Sep 9 00:23:33 CEST 2005

Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live.com> writes:

>>The transport stream is broken.  The isn't a single PTS in there.
>
> Thanks - yes you're right.  (Strictly speaking, the Transport Stream
> is OK, but the PES data contained in it is not (because it doesn't
> contain PTSs).)

The PES syntax and requirements are part of the transport stream
specification.  They are also part of the program stream spec.  In the
actual ISO document, the PES syntax is described in the chapter about
transport streams.  The chapter on program streams refers back to same
definition.

>>   I'm surprised that VLC plays it at all.
>
> Presumably it was able to play the video because of the timestamps
> present in the MPEG Video Elementary Stream data.  MPEG Audio
> Elementary Stream data, OTOH, doesn't contain any timestamps, which
> explains why VLC didn't play any audio.

Does VLC look at the timecodes in the GOP headers?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com