[vlc] Can't run vlc 0.8.2

Howard Johnson Howard.Johnson at adtran.com
Mon Sep 12 17:08:36 CEST 2005

I have been running vlc 0.8.1 on Linux successfully for some time now.
I just now recompiled all the new sources for vlc 0.8.2.  However it
will not run because of the following error:

VLC media player 0.8.2 Janus
09:56:12: Error: Failed to initialize GUI: no built-in themes found.

I looked into the code and discovered that the error message is actually
coming from the wxWidgets library.  I tried setting the environment
variable WXTHEME (even though their docs say you do not have to do this
on Unix) and still cannot run vlc.

Am I missing a parameter to pass to ./configure when compiling vlc?  Or
some parameter to pass to wxWidgets to get it to run with vlc?  Someone
else in another area of the company is having a similar problem.

Howard Johnson
Adtran, Inc.