[vlc] Accessing VLAN functions via API calls

Thomas Haas HaasThomas at gmx.de
Wed Apr 5 15:24:01 CEST 2006

Hello everybody,

i finally got my ivtv drivers to run and all works fine. I can stream
the content of the card (Hauppauge PVR 150) over http, save the stream
to a file and display it. I can do this with the GUI or the commands in
the shell.

I am now about to write a program that can trigger this funcitons via
code. My first idea was to just call the commands via the system or
execvl methods. This works fine but i do not have the ability to check
weather the command has executed successfully. I also would like to
stop a command after a period of time. The second problem is that
system creates a new proccess which is very ressource consuming. So a
better method would be to start a thread or do direct API calls.

So my question is:

Is there an API (library to include into my program) or a communication
over sockets where i can just call functions (or send commands over http
 sockets) to create, save or to display a stream?

Another solution would be to get the code for this from the cvs
repositories and compile it into my application. But since the vlc
project is very large this could be very complicated.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas