[vlc] Re: wireless camera input to VLC

Cian Cullinan cian.cullinan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 15:21:14 CEST 2006

Thanks for those who offered advice on network cameras compatible with
VLC - the overwhelming consensus seems to be that Axis is the way to
go (no one mentioned Sony, Panasonic, Canon etc.).
I'm torn though, and the lack of video samples on the Axis website
doesn't make it easier to decide (if anyone had some samples to share
I'd be very grateful). Can anyone answer the following questions for
me?

1)I'm intrigued by the AXIS 230 with it's MPEG2 output - has anyone
used this camera, is the quality as great as some vendors say, does it
play nicely with VLC?

2) All the pan/tilt/zoom cameras have interlaced CCD's. How does the
quality compare to the progressive CCD's from the fixed cameras?

3) What's the quality of the MPEG-4 encoding like on these cameras,
would I be better off grabbing the MJPEG stream and transcoding it
myself (of course then I'd have to get the audio stream separately and
try and merge the two)?

Cheers,
Cian