[vlc] No video when streaming/saving rtsp stream (even streaming to 'play localy')

Anthony Joseph Seward anthony.seward at ieee.org
Thu Apr 13 19:46:26 CEST 2006

I am trying to view a video that is streamed using the rtsp protocol.
There is a problem when trying to view it on linux (Fedora 5).  Nothing
happens after connecting and opening the audio and video substreams.  It
seems like a problem with only the linux client because when I install
vlc 8.4a under wine it gets further, but then crashes due to wine
issues.

Since I have VMWare, I installed vlc 8.4a on a Win2k virtual machine
client.  Unfortunately, due to work constraints, sound doesn't work on
the Win2k virtual machine.  So I tried to either save the stream to a
file or pass the stream through to vlc running on the linux host.  No
luck either way.

I was able to both save and restream video using http input.  The two
videos that I was using are found at:
 [1] http://www.fencingchannel.tv/feature/2006fie/CKOR.htm?size=large&view=http://www.fencingchannel.tv/feature/2006fie/WSCKOR06.mov
 [2] http://www.fencingchannel.tv/clip/fencing/ParisCIP2006semi.htm?size=large&view=http://quickmedia.fencingchannel.net/MFFRA06/CIPSEMIA_H.mov

When viewing/streaming [1] I entered
http://www.fencingchannel.tv/feature/2006fie/WSCKOR06.mov using the open
dialog, and when trying [2] I entered
rtsp://64.34.183.132:80/WCH05/foiltest.mov because there seemed to be
some issues following the http link.

In summary, with link [1] I was able to view, stream and save on both
Windows in VMWare and FC5, but with link [2] I could only view on
Windows.  I could not do anything under FC5 and I could not stream or
save video under Windows.  The audio substream will stream and save.  In
addition, if I try and just stream to 'Play Locally' there is no local
video under windows.

I'm stuck.  Can anyone help?  I'd prefer to save the video ([2] that
is), but viewing under FC5 is fine.

Thanks,
Tony