[vlc] where is X?

Christopher Vance cjsvance at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 13:51:14 CEST 2006

I have a sample .mpg recorded off DVB using (I believe) an Elgato on a Mac.

When using vlc on Ubuntu, it plays video and audio just fine.

When using a self-compiled vlc on a different Linux (Thinstation - no
vlc package is available), it plays audio just fine, but there is no
video, and not even an X11 control window. I have set DISPLAY, and
other X programs do work (e.g., xterm).

The error message I see is

[00000300] fb video output error: cannot get terminal mode (Invalid argument)

I used
    configure --enable-wxwidgets --enable-x11 --enable-xvideo --with-x

How do I tell vlc to open an X control window and do video to an X
window, as well as playing the sound that already works okay. (All I
really need is to be able to tell it to play or exit. Telling vlc
which thing to play only needs to be done by the command line.)

Did I compile wrong, or execute wrong? Is something needed at run time
that doesn't show to ldd?

Longer term, the intention is to stream free-to-air DVB onto a thin
linux client.

Thanks for any response.

-- Christopher