[vlc] Re: where is X?

Christopher Vance cjsvance at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 10:35:47 CEST 2006

On 8/9/06, Václav Koldus <vaclav.koldus at avpark.cz> wrote:
> VLC is obviously trying to use framebuffer output filter, which it
> shouldn't if you want to play
> video on X. Have you tried to force vlc to use proper filter?
>
> All you have to do is to pass correct arguments to vlc.
>
> vlc --vout-filter x11
> or another filter you want.

Václav, hi.

My /usr/local/lib/vlc/video_output directory contains
(lib)x11(_plugin.so), and similarly for glx, image, xvideo, and fb,
while my video_filter directory contains things like
(lib)clone(_plugin.so), crop, transform, and magnify.

Running with --vout-filter x11 says no video filter module matched
"x11" and that there is no suitable vout module, while running with
--vout x11 complains about fb as in my original mail.

I'm still confused.  :-(

I have noticed that the X11, Xext, and Xvideo libraries show on ldd of
libxvideo_plugin.so, but not of vlc itself. If this is relevant, what
can I do about it?

-- C