[vlc] Saving RTSP stream to WAV or MP3

Jean-Baptiste Marchand (lists) jbm.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 06:39:22 CEST 2006

Hello,

I am trying to use VLC to save the content of a RTSP stream (RTSP URL
ending with a .rm file).

Using the Open Network Stream function, I specify the RTSP URL in the
appropriate input box.

Then, I check the Stream/Save checkbox and click on Settings, choose
the File output, specify a filename, set the Encapsulation to WAV,
start the playing and expect to have a .wav file.

I have also tried to set the Encapsulation to Raw and then use the mp3
codec but it does not work either.

In both cases, generated files seem to be invalid.

I also tried to use the "Dump raw input" method, expecting to have a
.ram file as a result. However, the resulting file reproduced in VLC
only contains short extracts of the original stream, separated by
blanks.

Also, for RTSP stream, is there a way to use the Play faster function
to save the entire stream   in a shorter time than the actual length
of the stream or is it simply not possible because of the way RTSP
work?

Thank you,

Jean-Baptiste Marchand