[vlc] Streaming question

Eric Partington eric.partington at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 01:14:44 CET 2006

Firstly thanks for a great product.. just beginning to understand how
versatile it is.

here is my situation:
two laptops (low ram, low cpu horsepower), wireless 11b connection between
them
vlc on both (0.8.6 svn 20061028) ubuntu 6.10 edgy elft
what i want to do is play a video on one laptop (master,192.168.9.15) and
have the audio play on the slave (other laptop,192.168.9.14).
here is what i have so far from the master:
vlc -vvv Groove.mpg --no-sout-video --sout
'#duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.9.14
,sap,name="groove"}}'
this results in the audio playing on the slave, not on the master however
the video is not played on either pc's

i then tried removeing the --no-sout-video and the video played on both pc's
and only the sound on the slave.
so i seem to be right in the middle of the solution.
how do i play the video locally and play the audio remotely?
I seem to be implementing the --no-sout-video incorreclty... have pored
through the archives and the documentation to try to find and example but
cant find something that fits. can someone point me in the correct
direction.
this is through a local lan, so no need for ttyl and the rest i will figur
eout later as far as caching.