[vlc] Extracted video clip doesn't play over a network

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Tue Dec 12 20:42:51 CET 2006

Hi,

I need to extract about 5 seconds of video from a larger
video file and test it over a network.

I used the 'transcode' wizard GUI and chose the 'partial
extract' feature to select the clip from a larger H264
encoded file.

The resulting clip plays correctly as a file but when I try
to stream it across a network, vlc can't play back the file
correctly.

It displays a single frame and then doesn't display any more
frames. Until, I hit 'stop' and 'play' again. If I do re-start
the stream, the video plays for a few seconds and then stops
again.

The single frame being displayed is the first frame of the
original movie and shouldn't even be in the extracted clip.

I have attached the debug messages from the two scenarios.

If the first frame of the shorter file is the same as the
original video, but the subsequent frames are from the
defined 'start time', I can see why the playback has problems.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is using the transcode wizard the correct way to extract a
video clip from the middle of a larger file? If not, what's
the best way to get a 5 sec or 10 sec video clip from a larger
movie?

2. The transmitter loops the video clip numerous times.
Is there a way force vlc to stop and re-start after each loop
the of the stream?

Thanks,
- Harshal