[vlc] cropping in vlc

Olav van Overveldt o.v.overveldt at hccnet.nl
Tue Feb 7 13:30:21 CET 2006

Hi everyone!

I'm new and DUM here, but I really like using VLC and appreciate the
fantastic work you guys are doing to make things even more beautiful!

There seems to be no "Videolan or VLC for dummies" so that's the reason I
post this message.
I succeeded in recording ts-files from my dreambox to my PC and they look
very nice. For quite some time I'm trying to get rid of banners with station
logos projected on top of the movie or music-files. I do this by trying to
make the CROP-function work both via the GUI and command line interface.
I'm using version 0.8.4a and I've noticed, reading messages on this forum,
that the crop function is broken in this version. So I tried to get it to
work in 0.7.2...... no results. The file looks quite the same and no top
part of the screne has disappeared what I was hoping should happen after all
my efforts.
There is a method that leads to the wanted result: make a mpg-file out of
it, load it in TMPGEnc3XP, crop some of the top and bottom, wait for 4 to 5
hours and you'll have a new mpg-file without logos etc. But imho: it is
rather compicated and takes a lot of time too.!

I must be very stupid or overseeing things (=stupid as well).
Can someone tell me what I should write precisely on the commandline to crop
84 lines from the top and 56 lines from the bottom and stream it both to the
screne and to a file? And ........what version is working?

I hope some of you can help me.
Thanks a lot in advance!

jopie