[vlc] Re: VLC and IGMPv3 multicast streaming on Windows XP

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Feb 8 09:06:24 CET 2006

Le mercredi 08 février 2006 à 11:41 +0800, Thomas Kuiper a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'm sending this to both lists (VLC and Streaming) as I'm not aware if this
> is a streaming problem or a more general problem.
>
> I'm trying to test IGMPv3 with VLC, but so far I'm only able to get VLC to
> generate IGMPv2 packets.
>
> In short, is there any way to force VLC to send IGMPv3 join/leave packets?
> Cause when testing it on a Windows XP Computer (XP Pro, SP2) I only see
> IGMPv2 packets in Ethereal arriving (Ethereal is the latest version, VLC too).
>
> Thank you for any suggestions how I could get it run IGMPv3.

Well, this shouldn't be VLC related. VLC only tells the OS it wants to
join a multicast group. The OS then generates the proper igmp messages.
However, from my experience, at least with unix boxes, the OS switches
to IGMPv2 as soon as it sees a IGMPv2 on the link. Is there any IGMPv3
unaware element on your link ?

--
BigBen