[vlc] Re: Audio problem with multilingual DVB-S provider

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Thu Feb 9 21:45:59 CET 2006

On 8-feb-2006, at 5:02, Matthew Geier wrote:
>  I'm streaming the output of several DVB cards onto our LAN. I've
> pretty well worked out how and have a box with 4 cards sending 15
> video/radio streams out.
> (vlc 0.8.4a, Fedora Core 4, vlc compiled from source)
>
>  However one of our local DVB-S providers (Palapa C2, Satelindo) is
> sending some channels with two different audio channels (TV5 for
> example appears to have the orginal French on one channel, and
> Indonesian on the other).
>  VLC seems to be treating this as stereo and mixing the two, and
> getting confused, I get two audio channels showing in the audio
> dialog, but one in quiet and the other has both audo channels
> overlayed on one another. I suspect it thinks the transmission is
> in stereo, when what the provider is doing is sending two mono
> audio tracks.
>
>  Interestingly my dreambox STB did the same thing, I had to bring
> the Audio menu and say I wanted left channel audio only to get just
> the French.
>
>  I suspect the provider is doing something stupid, but, how to I
> work around it ?.

Could you please not REPLY to an existing message if you want to
start a new topic? This messes up threading in email clients.

Unfortunately, VLC is not able to split audio channels of a single
audio track. I don't see a clear way around this issue, other then
just selecting the Left or Right Channel in the Audio menu of the VLC
client.