[vlc] Re: VLC and IGMPv3 multicast streaming on Windows XP

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Wed Feb 8 09:23:03 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:41:56AM +0800, Thomas Kuiper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sending this to both lists (VLC and Streaming) as I'm not aware if this
> is a streaming problem or a more general problem.
>
> I'm trying to test IGMPv3 with VLC, but so far I'm only able to get VLC to
> generate IGMPv2 packets.
>
> In short, is there any way to force VLC to send IGMPv3 join/leave packets?
> Cause when testing it on a Windows XP Computer (XP Pro, SP2) I only see
> IGMPv2 packets in Ethereal arriving (Ethereal is the latest version, VLC
> too).

According to IGMP spec, the OS must downgrade itself to the IGMP version
supported by the multicast router. In other words, if your router is
sending IGMPv2 Queries to the LAN, all your PCs will only use IGMPv2.
To get IGMPv3 working, you must reconfigure your router to support IGMPv3
and all your hosts will start using v3 after a few minutes (when v2 timer
expires). It's no problem if some hosts don't support IGMPv3, only the
router matters.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----