[vlc] Audio problem with multilingual DVB-S provider

Matthew Geier matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Feb 8 05:02:22 CET 2006

  I'm streaming the output of several DVB cards onto our LAN. I've
pretty well worked out how and have a box with 4 cards sending 15
video/radio streams out.
(vlc 0.8.4a, Fedora Core 4, vlc compiled from source)

  However one of our local DVB-S providers (Palapa C2, Satelindo) is
sending some channels with two different audio channels (TV5 for example
appears to have the orginal French on one channel, and Indonesian on the
other).
  VLC seems to be treating this as stereo and mixing the two, and
getting confused, I get two audio channels showing in the audio dialog,
but one in quiet and the other has both audo channels overlayed on one
another. I suspect it thinks the transmission is in stereo, when what
the provider is doing is sending two mono audio tracks.

  Interestingly my dreambox STB did the same thing, I had to bring the
Audio menu and say I wanted left channel audio only to get just the French.

  I suspect the provider is doing something stupid, but, how to I work
around it ?.