[vlc] Basics of capturing audio stream as .WAV (Win2K)?

PK djc at resiak.org
Mon Feb 13 09:41:42 CET 2006

Based on hints scattered around the documentation, in the graphic interface, and on the net, I've tried to
capture streamed audio with VLC 0.84a and save it as a .WAV file (under Windows 2000), but can't quite get it.
  I've managed to go as far as to have it create a file which WinAmp reports as "damaged", but which appears
to have at least the beginnings of a header.

What's the magic?

Second question: what's the magic to save a stream as MP3?  Sub-question: how to specify MP3 coding parameters?

Seems to me that fully-worked examples would be useful additions to the most obvious documentation.  None of
the examples I found seemed to do the trick.  Did I overlook something?

Thanks for any help.

Pete