[vlc] Re: Basics of capturing audio stream as .WAV (Win2K)?

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Mon Feb 13 10:11:42 CET 2006

Le lundi 13 février 2006 à 09:41 +0100, PK a écrit :
> Based on hints scattered around the documentation, in the graphic interface, and on the net, I've tried to
> capture streamed audio with VLC 0.84a and save it as a .WAV file (under Windows 2000), but can't quite get it.
>   I've managed to go as far as to have it create a file which WinAmp reports as "damaged", but which appears
> to have at least the beginnings of a header.

You should use the codec s16l to get a linear 16 bits lpcm uncompressed
audiostream (acodec=s16l).

> Second question: what's the magic to save a stream as MP3?  Sub-question: how to specify MP3 coding parameters?
>
> Seems to me that fully-worked examples would be useful additions to the most obvious documentation.  None of
> the examples I found seemed to do the trick.  Did I overlook something?

There are some examples in the streaming howto, that reflect some of the
uses. They could be completed with some new ones indeed. In the case of
mp3 streaming, the codec name is mp3 (acodec=mp3). This is not in the
documentation indeed, but the wx interface would have generated the
appropriate stream output chain. Regarding the codec options (bitrate
mainly for audio, ab=), those are clearly explained in the doc, and
available in the gui too.

--
BigBen